exellent crabgood crabVietnamese crab exporterdouble-skinned crabs

TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Australia's capital to join gun buyback in response to Bondi Beach attack: Albanese

Albanese's center-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on ​hate in the wake of the gun attack ​at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales state, on Dec. 14, 2025.

 
Sat, August 22, 2026

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (center) speaks during a press conference on the government’s home battery installation program with Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen (left) and former Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe (right) in Sydney, Australia, on Aug. 14, 2026. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese (center) speaks during a press conference on the government’s home battery installation program with Minister for Climate Change and Energy Chris Bowen (left) and former Olympic swimmer Ian Thorpe (right) in Sydney, Australia, on Aug. 14, 2026. (Reuters/Hollie Adams)

A

ustralia's capital will join a gun buyback as part of a response to a shooting spree that killed 15 at a Jewish festival in Sydney, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday.

Albanese's center-left government enacted laws in January for the gun buyback, tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on ​hate in the wake of the gun attack ​at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, the capital of New South Wales state, on Dec. 14, 2025.

The state, Australia's most populous, became the first to commit to the plan, which will launch on Nov. 2.

The Australian Capital Territory, home of the national capital Canberra, has agreed to a similar scheme in an effort to make sure "an antisemitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can’t happen again", Albanese said.

"I thank the ACT Government for their collaboration as we work to take guns off our streets in order to better protect Australians," he said in a statement.

The ACT has 23,000 guns and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders, the statement said. It did not say when the ACT buyback would begin. Albanese's office did not immediately respond to a request for details.

The gunmen accused of carrying out the Bondi Beach attack, a father and son who police say were inspired by Islamic State, used powerful firearms that were legally obtained. The surviving ​suspect is yet to enter pleas to a raft of charges, including ​15 counts of murder.

Australia ​had a record 4.1 million firearms last year, the government has said.

The buyback is to be Australia's largest since a similar campaign after a 1996 rampage in Tasmania's Port Arthur, in which a gunman killed 35 ​people.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.