double-skinned crabsexellent crabVietnamese crab exportergood crab

TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

NTT earthquake death toll rises to 83 as aftershocks hamper recovery

Wijayanto, director of BMKG’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center, said that the agency had recorded 4,258 aftershocks in the region as of Friday morning, with 31 having a magnitude of 5.0 or higher.

Nina A. Loasana, Markus Makur (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
East Manggarai
Sat, August 22, 2026

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Earthquake victims are treated on Aug. 15 in a temporary medical tent because of fears of aftershocks, in front of the Ruteng hospital in Ruteng, Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Rescuers combed through debris for survivors on Aug.15 after a powerful earthquake struck off Flores island, killing at least 47 people, according to disaster officials. Earthquake victims are treated on Aug. 15 in a temporary medical tent because of fears of aftershocks, in front of the Ruteng hospital in Ruteng, Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Rescuers combed through debris for survivors on Aug.15 after a powerful earthquake struck off Flores island, killing at least 47 people, according to disaster officials. (AFP/Juni Kriswanto)

T

he death toll from last week’s earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) has risen to 83, as a series of powerful aftershocks continue to rattle the province, causing additional damage and hampering recovery efforts.

A magnitude 5.2 earthquake struck the province at around 2 a.m. on Friday, further unsettling communities already affected by the disaster.

The latest tremor came a day after two magnitude 5.8 aftershocks hit the region at 6:45 a.m. and 10:46 a.m. on Thursday. The repeated seismic activity triggered further damage to already weakened buildings and bridges and caused landslides at several locations.

Authorities reported that a 56-year-old man in Ruteng, Manggarai Regency, died after suffering a heart attack reportedly triggered by panic during Thursday’s earthquake.

Seismic activity remained high in NTT nearly a week after the province was hit by a magnitude 7.7 earthquake on Aug. 15, according to Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG).

Wijayanto, director of BMKG’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center, said that the agency had recorded 4,258 aftershocks in the region as of Friday morning, with 31 having a magnitude of 5.0 or higher.

The Jakarta Post - Newsletter Icon

Morning Brief

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.

Delivered straight to your inbox three times weekly, this curated briefing provides a concise overview of the day's most important issues, covering a wide range of topics from politics to culture and society.

By registering, you agree with The Jakarta Post's

Thank You

for signing up our newsletter!

Please check your email for your newsletter subscription.

View More Newsletter

“Aftershock activity remained relatively high during the first several days following the main earthquake, with no significant indication of a sustained decline,” Wijayanto said on Friday. “The sequence of aftershocks is expected to continue for the next three to four weeks.”

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

NTT earthquake death toll rises to 83 as aftershocks hamper recovery

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.